Thursday, April 4, 2013

For the Love of Beet

One night, before my husband and I were married, he served me a variety of jewel toned roasted beets with goat cheese on crispy crostini. It was one of those special moments in our deepening relationship, one that was simultaneously beautiful and terrifying, and all I could safely say was, "Oh my God!" The dish was so lovingly plated, nonetheless, I hated beets. 

The look on my face must have translated my inner struggle, because he convinced me to try the dish with a promise these wouldn't taste like any beet I'd ever had and, after all, there was plenty of goat cheese (which is manna, I tell you). Well, I decided to try the crostini, trusting him, but thinking, as my teeth sank into the tiniest edge of a golden beet, how sad it would be to tell friends my relationship ended because he served me beets. Fortunately, he was right. They were unlike any beet I'd tasted, and after we devoured the whole plateful, we discovered a couple new things. First, roasted beets have been done a terrible disservice (as have many vegetables) by being served from a can. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be flaked and powdered. Secondly, I'll eat just about anything with enough goat cheese on it. Except mushrooms, no matter how much my husband promises I could love them as I now love beets. A self respecting girl has to draw lines somewhere. My line happens to be fungus.

I made this roasted beet, chèvre, and arugula pizza for dinner a few nights ago. I was inspired by a recipe for a beet salad, but decided to throw it on home made pizza dough. Delicious. Even better when you cook while listening to anything by Astrud Gilberto. Here's a short list of food blogs I've been following lately; enjoy!

Naturally Ella :: seasonal vegetarian dishes, lovely photography, humble & funny like a good friend.

Manger :: professional chef living in France with professional photographer husband. Not humble or particularly funny, but oh so nice to look at.

Vegetarian in Dixie :: So I know where to eat in and around Birmingham. Great photos and links.

Bakers Royale :: for the sweet side of life, indulge in this self taught baker's collections of recipes and sources. 

4 comments:

Mo said...

Yum, that looks really good. Will you share your recipe:-). Your pictures are wonderful!

Heather said...

Peel 2 large beets, wrap individually in tin foil, roast for 30 minutes at 400. Let them cool as you roll out either a home made pizza dough or store bought onto a baking sheet. Oil liberally with olive oil and bake until browning, about 12-15 minutes.

Lightly toss arugula in olive oil, red wine vinegar, and sea salt. Slice beets and then quarter the slices. When crust is out of oven, spread goat cheese all over it, top with beets and bake another 3 minutes. Remove from oven, top with arugula, slice and serve.

Kris said...

Ok, I just found your blog through 2 men and a farm blog. So glad I did! That pizza looks amazing. Except fot the arugula. Ugh! I am the same way about arugula and cilantro as you are with the fungus. I cannot be in the same room with those 2 things. Can't stand the smell of cilantro at all. Makes me sick. But I wonder now what I could use to replace the arugula on that pizza? I have goats and am milking now so am making cheese. I love goat cheese! Thanks for sharing your sweet story about your hubby. What a guy! Mine doesn't know where the kitchen is. He'd starve to death if I didn't fix him food. Thank goodness, he'll eat just about anything.

Heather said...

Kris,

Welcome! Glad to have you here. The pizza would be good without a green at all, but I wonder if a lightly sauteed kale or even fresh spinach might do? It's all about the cheese anyway ;-)