Sunday, May 9, 2010

Three Truths of Four

1) When you are four, the most prized independent milestone is being allowed to make your own snack. Insist you can do it "all by myself".

2) Joy is vigorously playing in nothing but socks in the backyard for at least a quarter hour before your mother discovers your underpants hanging on the doorknob and freaks out. She demands you put on your manties which seriously infringes on your belief in personal freedom.

3) Comment loudly (over the rude shushing noises all the adults are suddenly making) about how unbelievably bald/fat/old your neighbor is while he weeds his lawn ten feet away. You're supposed to be observant, right? I mean, you have spent four years answering questions like "what does a cow say?" to applause and accolades. Why censor your brilliance now?

Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Great post. While I say that motherhood gets better with time and I love the young woman my daughter is becoming, I still miss the "little" years sometimes.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Happy Mother's Day (one day late), Heather!

The making your own snacks---yes! My boys had some bad experiences with cinnamon when they were four. Baaaad.

frances

Heather said...

Oh, I love it! And can completely relate. Happy Belated Mother's Day!

Ruth said...

Fabulous! Happy belated Mother's Day to you!