Monday, April 12, 2010

Reminders

The smell of funnel cakes makes me want to vomit. Despite this enduring trait, I volunteered for the elementary school carnival. By the time my shift rolled around, there wasn't much business. At 5pm on a Saturday there were a few hundred cotton candy laced children, hordes of dazed and somewhat pained looking adults, and my favorite social group to observe, the roving gangs of teenagers. I love how they lean on things, all sharp elbows and skinny black jeans, as if the weight of their own import is simply too much bear upright. I took pictures of them up close like Nat'l Geographic. And they didn't even notice. I used to be unaffected and cool like that...twenty plus years ago. Dude? I saw the band on your new 'vintage' t-shirt live when they still toured in a bondo colored VW van.
Okay, so this child? Unfortunately, he's not mine. But for about fifteen delightful minutes, he entertained me. He was attempting the paddle ball for the first time and the pure joy on his face reminded me the new shouldn't be feared, the old shouldn't be forgotten, and the in-between should be lived to the fullest, until the import of your own happiness is simply too much to bear upright.

6 comments:

jane said...

Oh I love this post - you are spot on about the teenagers, and that paddle-ball-induced gleeful smile just couldn't be replicated. I love the late afternoon sun in the photos too. But - but! - I have no idea what a funnel cake is! Am off to google...

the Lady said...

Omg, lol - I love the first line of this post! It was such a surprise! And now I am going to cook my first piece of salmon ever, trepidation and all, because the new should be embraced! Not feared. (haven't been cooking much lately...)

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Wonderful post! You write like nobody's business. I love that boy--what joy, and enough to go around. Imagine that!

frances

magnusmog said...

I love the boy and his enjoyment but I also remember all to clearly the joy and pain of being a teenager!

Anonymous said...

Happiness.....the meaning of life.

Jennifer and Brandon said...

WHAT????? All that about the teens and you did not even post a pic of them!! Heather!!