Monday, March 15, 2010

The Mysterious Lamp Post

My father pulled in the drive with a surprise- my old armoire. My childhood bedroom was in the attic, a heavily dormered room with no closets that was freezing in the winter and an inferno in summer. Like so many things remembered, I would have sworn the wardrobe was larger; in my memory, it loomed and beckoned. I spent many hours tucked inside hidden amongst my clothes and dolls dreaming of the could be's and the what if's and the when I grow up's.
I couldn't help but venture back in, not expecting to find anything other than dust, but some spaces never lose their magic. Though I had to duck my head this time, I found what I was looking for; the mysterious lamp post in the middle of a dark and snowy wood. I drew a picture of it for you, in case you are too old and cynical to see such things for themselves anymore.

3 comments:

Jami said...

I love those books! I must say, the first mention of the armoire took me there. : )

Left-Handed Housewife said...

"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" was the only Narnia book I ever read, but I loved it so much.

Do you ever call your wardrobe a chiffarobe? That's what we call ours, but that's because we love "To Kill a Mockingbird" so much.

frances

magnusmog said...

Fantastic - I can almost smell the musty fur coats and the crisp snow outside.