Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ninebark Vest

Pattern: Ninebark Cowl, Knitscene Winter/Spring 2010
Yarn: Knit Picks City Tweed HW 'toad'
Needles: US# 5 & 7 circulars

This is what happens when you lose your perfect light while making SpongeBob shaped macaroni; you end up standing in your bathtub after dark for a photo. The Ninebark Cowl: a pattern no one will knit the way it was written. I didn't bother with the attached cowl because I thought it limiting. I added a row of 2x2 ribbing at the neckline instead. The fit is nice, but I shouldn't have added the increases at the hip, which gave me a bit more ease there than I needed, although I think an adventurous knitter could replace the bottom ribbing with a peplum and embody the Coco Chanel 1940's shapely aesthetic before rigid boning and girdles prevailed again in the 50's.

Knit while reading the Kreutzer Sonata by Tolstoy and listening to Elizabeth Klett's fantastic recording of The Awakening by Kate Chopin. Two affecting novellas I highly recommend unless you are considering a engagement of marriage- then I say read at your own risk!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I never would have guessed that was your bathtub, it really works with the sweater. There can never be enough tweed in the world. *happy sigh*

the Lady said...

Hawtness!

magnusmog said...

And what a lovely tub!