Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Contrast

outside


inside

Thank you for the birthday wishes! Winter gifted me snow (much to my surprise, this type of accumulation is very unusual here). The black cap chickadees tucked into their nest in my crepe myrtle and were at the feeder safe and sound the next morning. I snuggled inside, enjoying the tulips my son picked out for me.

My life is a mess of contrasts right now and I am at a loss for words to describe how I am feeling. The only descriptive I can come up with is longing. I have a strong sense of longing: not really melancholy because I am happy with so many things, but not really contentment either. Simple longing; I wish I knew what for. Cabin fever of the soul, I suspect.

This photo from the Sartorialist caught my eye. The contrasts are palpable; the almost burka-like quality of the woman's monochromatic outfit contrasting against the snowfall is compelling enough, but as you scroll down to the clandestine red on the soles of her shoes the whole affect shifts from practical to provocative. I wonder what it is like to be her. I'll bet she has longing too. For pants.

4 comments:

Jami said...

Happy birthday!! Hope it was a good one!

Heather said...

Oh, cabin fever for the soul! I GET that!

Heather said...

And of course, Happy Birthday!

the Lady said...

Ohhh yes - those sexy red soles on a black stiletto never fail. Yummy.