Friday, January 15, 2010

Silence, Exile, and Cunning

I finally captured a silhouette of Wilhelm as the sun came up this morning. He stayed longer than usual, so still he seemed a figment of my imagination, until with a piercing cry he dove headlong into the forest. Before I could blink, he was upon the branch again, his prey in his great talons. One fell swoop*as Shakespeare would write, but Wilhelm's efficient nature instantly put in mind this passage from A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce:

“You have asked me what I would do and what I would not do. I will tell you what I will do and what I will not do. I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can, and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use . . . silence, exile, and cunning.”

* A large black cat slowly crossed my path on a curving back road yesterday and now I am quoting from the Scottish Play...I'll be tossing salt over my shoulder all day for this.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Amazing picture!

the Lady said...

Love the quote.

ImplausibleYarn said...

That is a beautiful photo, haunting and beautiful all at the same time.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I hope you'll put that photograph in your shop. Though perhaps it's bad luck to sell pictures of Wilhelm? It's a beauty, whatever the case may be.

frances

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow--such a treat to see this fellow on a continual basis.