Monday, January 4, 2010

Post #250

Well, we've all survived the holiday madness again. Glad to see you back on this side. According to popular culture, I should be buying plastic storage bins, eating clear broth soups with strange twig like vegetables floating in them, and resolving to not break my resolutions. You know me well enough by now to understand when I choose to do none of these things. I am reveling in routine again. For all of the posturing I do about change, the month of December usually serves to remind me there isn't much I'd change about my day to day life. Spiritual and philosophical change I embrace, but the boring routine? I need it. I'm a balloon type; without a tether like a reliable daily routine, I would drift off, my head in the clouds, never to be seen again.

My brother read my book, the short story that turned into 80,000 plus words, and he enjoyed it. I know his opinion might be biased, but after I got off the phone I felt so damn proud of myself for having written a story someone else found pleasure in, and more importantly, understood. He got the subtleties, the hidden jokes, the characters were real for him in almost the same way they are for me. Writing this is an accomplishment in itself, but I'd like to see how far I can go with the book. My goal is to get it as far as as I can down the publishing gauntlet. I know it may never actually be published, but that is really not my goal. My goal is to believe in myself enough to accomplish the baby steps: the tedium, the boring details, the slogging through. A new tether to a new aspect of my daily routine; the doubting less and doing more. Happy New Year- I have a feeling it will be an excellent one.

5 comments:

Mom said...

What a wonderful post! And your picture is great. You have the most colorful birds in your neck of the woods. My goal is to finish reading your book this week. The characters have already become friends and I can't wait to see what they do next. Best of luck, my dear!

mushroomvillagers said...

I was so happy to read your post. I have several very close friends who are trying to write their book, but have yet to finish or really even start.
I wish you the best of luck!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Happy New Year, Heather! I hope 2010 finds you doing and thinking and writing interesting things. Get that book out there--the world might just be ready for it.

frances

kim said...

If your blog posts are any indication, I suspect you just may get published after all. Happy New Year to you!

the Lady said...

Congratulations you. I would love to read your book.