Monday, October 12, 2009

Hermione's Everyday Socks


Pattern: Hermione's Everyday Socks (rav) by Erica Lueder
Wool: Knit Picks Stroll in burgundy
Needles: US# 1 dpn's, 7", aluminum, with a Phoenix Feather core

One of my favorite events surrounding Hermione Granger, cleverest witch of her age, in the Harry Potter series, was the tongue-tied, hapless attentions she received from Viktor Krum, the surly Bulgarian Quidditch champion. (That was a comma-splosion sentence, sorry.) Anyway, Viktor could never pronounce her name no matter how hard he tried, usually addressing her as Hermy-own-ninny or something close. I felt for the man. I have the same problem when introduced to people who speak a language other than English and children. "Edda" is usually what I answer to in these situations.

No matter, a name is just a name and sometimes, despite best intentions, you can't seem to get a thing to come out right, or out at all. So has it been with these socks. Life blocked my every intention of finishing them in my usual two week window. I think I cast on for these three months ago. Alas, my friends, they are finally finished, and all without the help of a time turner or charm. Now who's the cleverest witch?

11 comments:

JoAnn said...

Love the socks and the shoes! I never knew how to pronouce her name either, and just made something up to replace it, so I wouldn't struggle with it while reading.

Jen said...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=32098842&ref=sr_gallery_10&&ga_search_query=wheel+thrown+pottery&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

I tried to email you and I could use the link because I don't use hotmail. Check out the link I posted from Etsy. I like the concept of these bowls, but I think it could be improved upon. Like a weighted bottom with more of a foot and more of a spiral instead of an apostrophe to run the yarn through. What do you think? I need some expert advice. Oh and what is the diameter of a normal ball of yarn?

Here is my email for a reply:
jeniferbianca@yahoo.com

Christie said...

Very cute! I'm not a sock knitter myself, so to me your the most cleverest of all time!

Sara said...

I thought Viktor Krum was darling trying to say Hemoninny's name. And I've loved that pattern since I first saw it on ravelry. Maybe I'll get around to actually making them. You did a wonderful job with yours.

Rose said...

Love! And the shoes are perfect. I have a whole stash of projects that are in various stages of unfinishedness, since I didn't knit a stitch for 6 months after the baby was born. Now I get to finish them all and feel very productive!

the Lady said...

Yeah, I loved it when he called her Hermy-own. Love the socks!

Kathy said...

For certain you are a clover one!

LOve the way you photographed them. Great job.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I love these socks! Will knit them immediately. For Hermione's sake. I love saying Hermione, because it is hard to say, and because I know how to say it. Take that, Viktor Krum!

a friend to knit with said...

completely fabulous. right down to the shoes!

Knitterella said...

Nice socks! I have to ask though, where did you get those shoes? They are awesome!

Anonymous said...

I would like to steal those shoes please! But I'm pretty sure no one else in our family has feet the size of mine...

Katie