Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Morning of the Turn


Walking to the bus stop this morning I breathed it in, the turn of the season, each chill lung full of air an awakening. This is the true beginning to my year; the autumnal stripping off the lethargy and sloth of humid days. I am invigorated and inspired by the coming cold, the burning colors, the instinct to wrap oneself inward under layers of early darkness. When the world herself goes stumbling towards a long nap, I awake, drowsy from my summer stupor. This is my season.

Jacob and Wilhelm, the brother hawks, watched me from their usual perch in the bare tree top across from my house. I named them this year after the Brothers Grimm. I wonder if that means we are connected in some way since I've named them. They would surely scoff if they could and remind me we are all connected regardless of words. I was grateful to see them hulking there, silhouetted against the indigo line between night and dawn.

Now is the time for cassoulets and thin sweaters. Knitting and Romantic classics. Perhaps a Gothic horror. Maybe Jane Eyre? Long rambles in the piney woods, a glass of wine before bed, school parties. And curling in, looking in, summing up the year's bounties and debts. This is my harvest.

9 comments:

kim said...

Your writing is beautiful and inspiring.

Anonymous said...

And how about some pumkin pie? That big one in the photo looks good.

-Hubby

Rose said...

I know exactly how you feel. I always feel melancholy through late August and September, knowing that summer's on the wane. But as soon as that true turn of seasons happens, I forget why I was sad about summer ending and remember how much I love the fall. It's like coming home to a cozy house after a long day outside. You had fun, but you're glad to be inside and safe.

Kat said...

Well said. I second that!

Kathy said...

Mine too. You said it so well.

I love October in Chicago.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

We've had the turn here, too, and my brain cells are popping after a long summer's rest. Send Jacob and Wilhelm my way. I have a story to tell them.

frances

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh yes, a cassoulet, what a perfect idea, name twin!

Mom said...

Honey, where have I been? I just saw your beautiful post and the pumpkin of all unplanned, experimental pumpkins! I'm sure the kids are thrilled. Is this one getting decorated for all the goblins on Halloween night? And yes, I totally agree that this weather is the absolute best!

magnusmog said...

Cassoulet and a gothic novel - perfect. I've just read The Legacy of Cain by Wilkie Collins. Just right for chilly autumn evenings.