Wednesday, August 19, 2009

You're Not Hopeless


So, last night, I paced, literally paced, the floor trying to convince myself not to write the really painful scene between my characters. I kept thinking up increasingly ludicrous possibilities to spare them this confrontation, but life is confrontation, right? I mean we don't just all float around in bubbles of foamy bliss all day. I realized at some point, well into the night, that I was breaking my own heart for these imaginary folks. Is that normal? So I did what I do whenever I feel sad or frustrated or restless: I quoted all of my favorite lines from Lost in Translation and stopped when Bob says quietly, "You're not hopeless."
I seriously crush on that movie because I can relate to both Charlotte and Bob; her searching, artistic nature and his jaded, mid life crisis induced depression. I will finish these Hermione's Everyday Socks one day, but not this day. This day, I am going to post boring photos of my feet, accept the fact that I am now officially a soccer mom, and try to go to bed at a reasonable hour. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Christie said...

You are totally not hopeless! I can imagine how hard it would be to write that scene...you've created these people and to put them in harms way...it must be extremely difficult. Hopefully there is some sort of redemption for them...which can only make them better characters, right?

Left-Handed Housewife said...

It's good that your characters are breaking your heart. That means they're real people.

The greatest line in Moby Dick is "Who ain't a slave?" For us modern day gals, "Who ain't a soccer mom?" is probably more to the point.

frances

the Lady said...

Wow, I love that sock, especially in a solid colorway.

I've always heard that characters can be really real for a writer, so that's good.

Anyhow lady, it ain't over till the fat lady sings, just you remember that, if ever you feel you are accepting that which you would prefer not to accept. Ain't nothing wrong with being a soccer mom, unless that's what you don't want.

Kathy said...

Wow you have long skinny toes and feet. These Hungarian legs and feet are sooooooo jealous. Great polish as well.

GO ahead and let those characters do what you know they must.