Monday, June 8, 2009

Variation on a Buttercup

Pattern: Buttercup by Heidi Kirrmaier
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light "aurelian"
Needles: US# 4 circular and DPN
I am going to sing the praises of this pattern just like the others who have finished her. Buttercup is simple and, as you can see, easy to modify. I followed Heidi's variation instructions with one or two small differences:
1.I cast the stitches on for the lace panel as I do for underarms (not on a separate needle)
2. I only did 3 a-line increases instead of 6
3. I used a 16 stitch sideways garter border on the hem and sleeves.
I love this sweater. It fits well but the next one I make will not have the extra sleeve stitches which just stick out like too much fabric rather than giving a pouf. I won't do the a-line increases at all since I ended up with too much fabric across the back since there is no waist shaping.
Overall, I highly recommend this pattern. This will be my go-to fall sweater to layer over a long sleeve tee. I also find that I have much more success with garments knit in a DK or lighter weight wool. I love all of the top down designs, but most are too bulky for my frame and the warm winters here. Knit a Buttercup today, you'll be glad you did.

16 comments:

JoAnn said...

You did a beautiful job on this sweater and the color if really nice! It fits you perfectly!

Mom said...

WOW, honey, I love it. You look absolutely beautiful. The fit and color are perfect on you. Makes you look teeny tiny! Great job.

mushroomvillagers said...

The fit and color are perfect! Your skills are amazing.

LauraBeth said...

So pretty! I'll be looking for you in your new sweater this fall!

Christie said...

It looks great! I started mine and hope it looks as good.

the Lady said...

Oh Heather, that looks beautiful on you! And wow, what a great figure!

Sara said...

Just lovely!

Emily said...

That is perfectly beautiful! And fits you amazingly well (color choice is outstanding too).

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Beautiful! If it makes me look as svelte as you look in the picture, sign me up!

frances

Nichole said...

what a gorgeous sweater!

Heather said...

That is downright spectular!! Strong work.

magnusmog said...

It's great - I love her patterns:)

Ruth said...

That's really lovely, and fits you a treat. Wonderful work!

Kathy said...

It is amazing . Love the color and you do look so wonderful in it. Love the images you shared

My word verification is Re for. he he he

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

That neckline is a stunner on you! And your mom's comments once again are too darn cute:)

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!

- Katie