Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Old Sofa Socks


When you open your mailbox to a surprise package of Pigeonroof Studios scrappy skeins from your pal the Lady Knits, a million ideas run through your mind as to what you can do with these small amounts of awesome yarn. I needed a portable project for our road trip to Chattanooga* this past weekend and a pair of peds fit the bill. I didn't have enough of the yellow that Larkin sent to complete both feet but I remembered I had some matching brown from these socks. Voila! A quick project was born.

While sewing up the toe on the last sock I pondered what I would call these. 'Eggs on Toast' or 'Dandelion' or maybe 'Honey Bee'. I asked my husband what he thought and after a quick sideways glance (he was driving at the time) he declared they looked like an old sofa. I really could not argue. They do have that 1970's Harvest Gold vibe. I used my generic top down sock formula, casting on 60 stitches and starting the heel 4 rows after the ribbing ended.

* Trip was fantastic! Still sorting out the hundreds of pictures I took so more on this to come.
** Many many thanks for all of the Buttercup love. I was flattered silly.

8 comments:

Trisha said...

Awesome name for those socks! Husbands rock!

amandajean said...

love the name of the socks! and i love the contrasting toe color, too. how fun! and, better yet, i understand what you mean by the generic top down pattern...woo-hoo!!!

the Lady said...

Yay, that didn't take long! That color always reminded me of bananas, myself.

Heather said...

Holy cow, I so love these!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Your husband is a genius. I believe you should give the socks to him.

frances

Mom said...

Do you remember the very first sofa we had...looks just like your socks. Myself, they remind me of Reece's p'nut butter cups, but then doesn't everything remind your old Mom of something chocolate! Cute socks!

Kathy said...

Perfect name. I avoid those colors in colorways b/c the remind me of mom's old couch!

jessicrum said...

Our first couch was exactly those colors! It's was my husband's parents' first couch and it was definitely "70's harvest gold" plaid. I kind of miss it, except that it was horribly uncomfortable.