Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Kate's Cardigan

Yet another February Baby Sweater off the needles for my cousin Michelle's impending arrival. These little knits fly. In a fit of finishing up the Harry Potter series on audio book, I have been a knitting machine. I actually finished this several days ago and am also almost done with a stranded hat. I have knit so often in the past week that I have Knitter's Neck- you know what I mean. Ouch!

This cardigan is knit in the new organic cotton yarn from Knit Picks, Simply Cotton. Advertised as a sport weight, I think it is closer to fingering weight. The cotton is very soft, no splitting, and came out of a low heat dryer with out pills or too much shrinkage. I like this cotton very much, but this pattern benefits from the smooshy-ness of wool. I used size 4 needles and ended up with a 18.5 " chest circumference. The rose buttons are vintage and the hanger used in the photo belonged to my Grandmother when she was a child. Can't wait to meet you, Kate!


8 comments:

melissa said...

this is beautiful! perfect for a sweet new baby.
i love the hanger too.

thanks for the review of the knitpicks organic cotton as well, i've been eyeing that with some interest since it came out.

Sara said...

lovely little buttons!

Trisha said...

What a nice gift! It looks pretty in white. Thanks for the review of the yarn. I really like Knit Picks and will have to try it out.

Mom said...

Oh honey, you've outdone yourself. Michelle is going to love this gift and baby Kate will certainly be a well-dressed beautiful baby. Not go rest your neck!

Knitterella said...

Oh I love it! Love the buttons and the hanger is so sweet too!

Jen said...

You make the sweetest things! And have the greatest random things ever like that hanger.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Very adorable. I, too, love this patten, it's my go-to baby pattern.

Christie said...

Beautiful! what a lovely gift.