Monday, March 30, 2009

Project Spectrum 2009

Project Spectrum 2009 focuses on the elements and colors associated with the four Cardinal directions (N,S,E,W). I am a bit slow to start this year, but have found plenty of inspiration from my walks and knitting that coincide with the March/April category: North {green, stones/gems/rocks, winter, earth}. There are some beautiful stones and rocks covered in moss and surrounded by green spring weeds in my neighborhood. My daughter calls the broken rock basin a unicorn trough.

I am stuck here on this sentence. For two days I've been trying to write my thoughts on caring for the planet. For two days I've been typing and deleting. The problem isn't a lack of information, it is my inability to discuss the importance of doing your part for the environment without becoming angry and even resorting to name-calling certain groups of people who just don't seem to get it. I can feel my ire rising even now. My passion for this earth and all of her wonders cannot be considered mild, diplomatic, or even fair. My opinions in this case are not only resolute, they bite with dripping fangs.


The stones, the moss, the gurgling rain glutted stream, even the annoying barrage of gnats, brings me peace, stills me from the center, so the ripples of worry grow farther apart until they cease. This is my church. I hear a voice in the wind, feel a hand resting on my shoulder in a ray of sunlight, and see my connection to the universe mapped in the striations of rock. This earth is my home and I will defend and respect her to the end. Please join me.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, your pictures are amazing. I can see your passion through the frames. I showed my girls the unicorn tough, they were enthralled!.

the Lady said...

That's totally a unicorn trough.

I know. The environment and what we do. It can hurt so much to think about it. At least the anger can be used as fuel.

T.Allen-Mercado said...

Such beauty and passion in your words and images. I'm with you, I'm very protective of the earth and not very good at tolerating those who aren't. I try, as with all things I'm a work in progress.

Thanks for stopping in for Tea & Honey Bread.

Carmen said...

Love the pictures. And I agree, the earth is something we need to be tending and taking care of, not using and abusing. I wasn't always this way, but as I've grown, I've come to see just how interdependent we are with the land and sea and air. Great post!

Tammy said...

Great colors in the sock. Nice pattern too. I'm feeling a copycat coming out.

LinDragon said...

There is a wonderful saying - The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. Exactly, so we should tret Her with the respect and love due to a Mother.
The Unicorn was waiting for you to finish taking the photo before using the trough.