Wednesday, March 25, 2009

For Rent

I took a walk through town and counted the for rent signs. This little building is my favorite. Shabby and simple, those large front windows watching out for the one who stops and stares a few minutes longer than the rest. The little building will put on it's best expression, standing taller, catching the sunlight on its tin roof. The person will not quite know why they like this small rough place but will not be able to forget it. They will spend the day running errands and chopping vegetables picturing red geraniums blooming in the drooping window boxes. They will hear the door creak open to the warm sound of a visitor's hello and the rhythmic tapping of a dog's nails on the worn wooden plank floors because this is the kind of building that likes dogs and visitors. On the rainy days, when the cars blur past and the trains move quietly on the rails, this little building will throw its door and windows open, spreading itself out like a cat sleeping on its back lulled by the tin roof symphony. The person and the building will be perfect for each other. The for rent sign will be locked in a drawer that never need be opened again.

I took a series of photos around town the day I snapped this one. I am working on adding them to the shop soon. I want to say thanks to the couple that parked right in front of this little building just as I was taking its picture from the opposite curb despite the 15 empty spaces on that side of the street. I really liked your car, just not in my shot, but it was comfortable when I had to sit on the hood to get this picture.

I have entered a couple of my photos in the category competitions for JPG Magazine. The other photography is amazing, so many talented people submit. I have been warmly welcomed and hope to learn more from the artists there. If you would like to check out the site and vote for my photos, go here and here. Thanks!

8 comments:

Emily said...

That should be a tiny yarn shop! I am going over to vote.

Mom said...

Okay, I voted. I wonder...how many times I can vote...

Carmen said...

Good luck with the contest! This pic is lovely.

elizabeth said...

I saw the photography sign and thought for sure you were going to say that you'd rented the building!

Kristina said...

What an adoreable little building. I'm always the type to be drawn by tiny, ramshackle houses. I don't know what it is, they just look so cozy. I especially liked the part about the red geraniums. Too true.

Kristina
Sweetfern Handmade

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Such a charming little place that seems full of potential!

MissBossyPants said...

My former neighbor, Jim Parks, used to rent that building for his photo business. Loved that guy. Now I think that is the building my friend Judy is moving into with her gift stuff. It might be a different building on the same street. I'm kind of flighty, you know. If I stopped to look there would be a pile up behind me and I'd not notice until it was on the news.

Charnita said...

i love this building too....would love to rent it and live my dream.....