Thursday, February 26, 2009

I Believe The Hype


I am of the variety of person that tends to be wary of The Hype. I rarely lend credence to what the masses are saying or being swayed by. When politicians, anchormen, and expert panelists begin to speak with any fervor, I drift off into my own thoughts feeling like I have heard all of this rhetoric before in some previous life. I am neither completely cynical or stoic or idealistic mind you, I just find that the words Crisis and Plan are often overused and ill defined at that.
I like to prove things to myself, on my own terms, in my own time. I am sure I have annoyed people along the way, ignoring their advice, then changing my tune as if I had concurred all along. I apologize. I know I am terribly guilty of immediately and adamantly making up my mind on a topic for I am a creature of deep, often impractical emotions, and then contradicting myself as if all that fuss never happened. I even extend this stubborn wariness to the knitting community. I have for a year or so read the zealous exclamations extolling the virtues of Malabrigo. "It's so soft! It's so beautiful! It's so mmmmmm..."
'Whatever', I said, reminding myself how I've been disappointed in the past. Of course, that was all before I tried Malabrigo. So friends, like the child who is tricked by the babysitter into eating broccoli casserole and discovering after years of gagging and starving that broccoli smothered in cheese is actually good, I ecstatically declare:
It's so soft!
It's so beautiful!
It's so mmmmmm...
Which hat pattern do you suggest I knit?

13 comments:

Sandra said...

oh my goodness, malabrigo is like butter, mmmmmm. you have went way too long without having knit with the stuff. better late than never to join the bandwagon, tho. :)

my favoritest thing ever made of malabrigo is probably brooklyn tweed's shifting sands scarf. it's perfection.

http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/search?q=shifting+sands

mushroomvillagers said...

I drive into downtown Portland to score this yarn. It's worth it!
I can only afford to buy a few skeins at a time so I've only made hats.
I'm currently working on the Foliage hat pattern. I love it so far, but I'm all about knitting hats from the top down. (I also knitted both boys' hat this winter using Malabrigo.)
I can't wait to see what you knit-up.

the Lady said...

Heh heh heh.

teabird said...

Does it have to be a hat? I'm doing my first Mmmmmm project: the Ridge Lace cowl *it's on Ravelry* and having a hard time not drooling onit.

Sandra said...

i just realized now that you were looking for *hat* patterns. doh. well, my fav hat pattern for malabrigo is koolhaus.

btw, got the cookies today. they are so nom. just sending along thanks along your and miss a's way. . . :)

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I just knit with Malabrigo for the first time in December--fabulous! I knit some fingerless gloves with it, and they feel wonderful and are the only thing enabling me to enjoy this long, cold winter.

No hat patterns here, I'm afraid. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

frances

Anonymous said...

How about going a little unconventional and knitting a cabled newsboy cap? It looks gorgeous in malabrigo.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I agree with Sandra's Koolhaas rec, but Stella or a Dulles has would be nice as well. And Felicity would bew adorable! Can you tell I've umm road tested this yarn quite a bit?;)

Kathy said...

Haha! You've been bit now! Can't wait to see what hat you knit up with the Malabrigo!

Ruth said...

I have some Malabrigo of my own...so I'm looking forward to checking out [and copying] what you do. ;)

amandajean said...

i don't want to believe the hype. i can't afford to!!! LOL.

Jen said...

Yes, it's deliciously soft, isn't it? I'd make a cowl if I had a spare skein of the stuff. I want it touching my skin more than my hair.

Chrispy said...

The Malabrigo Junkies have compiled a rather large list of patterns they like to knit using Malabrigo Worsted.

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/malabrigo-junkies/pages/1-Skein-Malabrigo-Worsted-Patterns

My favorites are Koolhaas and my own design called the Squiggle hat.

Welcome to the squishy world of Mal.