Friday, February 6, 2009

Friendship Socks

For Nicole, who understands sometimes there are no words, and is cool with that.

Yarn: Knitpicks Essential Kettle Dyed 'wine'
Needles: US#1 dpn

Can I just say I am having issues with giving these away? They are so pretty. This color doesn't photograph consistently, every shot I took was a slightly different hue, but each was beautiful anyway. They look good in every light. I am going to wrap them up nice with a fun card, and when I am free of this chest cold I picked up I'll hand them over. Lucky for her, they are too small for my feet or I might have pretended to have lost them.

I am not the only one who knit these socks. When I was sitting at my Grandma's bedside, my 10 year old cousin asked to knit a row. I wrapped my arms around him, showed him how to juggle the needles, to make the loops and gently slide them off. He knit a whole row. The wonderful Kenyan hospice nurse laughed at us exclaiming "boys do not knit this" but Joey persevered and quietly said "I do!" Curiosity got the best of her and she held the needles for awhile too. Knitting around others has always brought questions from the non-knitters which opens a doorway to conversation. I love those conversations. You never know where they will lead. Most of them usually end up in a good place full of times remembered and memories made. Whether you quilt, sew, knit, paint,or bake, the items you create are meant to be shared. Our work gives shelter, warmth, and beauty to those around us. In return we receive the shelter, warmth , and beauty of friendship. This is why I knit.





12 comments:

mushroomvillagers said...

I find the same thing as well. If my needles are in hand, people tend to open up and share something.
My 4 year old boy is taking to crochet these days. I love it and we're going to work on a little ninja soon.
And yes, the color of those socks is delicious!

Heather said...

Love, love the red.

JoAnn said...

What a beautiful color! I'm glad Joey stuck with it - good for him.
Take care.

Mom said...

Nicole is a wonderful friend. You are as lucky to have her, as she is lucky to have you, and her dainty little feet are going to look great in these socks. You know I love the color! And they have an extra bit of love sprinkled in since they were touched by Joey's hands. Beautiful post!

teabird said...

When my mother was in hospital a few months ago, she was not getting very good care or enough attention. I was doing the best I could, but the place was overcrowded and understaffed.
How curious, though: when I took out my knitting needles and started to knit, staff started coming around to reminisce about mothers and grandmothers and aunts who used to knit. They'd stay awhile and talk, and my mother started to get much better care. I think knitting created an aura that attracted the best and most positive attention.

a friend to knit with said...

love this post.
and the socks are lovely as well.

Ruth said...

I could bathe in that color.

the Lady said...

Love that color. Lucky both of you.

Trisha said...

So simple, yet so gorgeous! You are a good friend.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I love the story of the communal knitting that went into it. While I've never started my own knit-along out in public as you seem to have done, it does seem that on-the-street knitting provokes all sorts of comments, most of them along the lines of "I could never do that." But they could, they could! As you have aptly proven.

frances

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Red is so hard to photograph, isn't it? Such a sweet story.

kim said...

The color on these socks is amazing - so saturated. It almost makes me want to knit socks. Almost....