Thursday, February 12, 2009

Darn.

There are a great many things to do while taking cold medicine. You can nap, read magazines, call a friend, or read blogs. Never, under any circumstance, should you grab a pile of laundry and toss it in the machine with out removing your favorite purple pair of socks first.

The entire heel of my Madeline Tosh 'logwood' socks emerged from the machine- well, actually, it didn't emerge at all. It was simply gone. I am normally never at a loss for words, especially colorfully combined curse words, but this sight rendered me speechless. All I could manage was a half-cry half-cough "ga-huh". I can still feel the visceral pinch behind my belly button. I reverently set the wounded sock on the dryer and backed slowly out of the room.
the Lady to the rescue! Her timely post on the darning of a well loved pair gave me hope. I picked a row of stitches on the sole, then another at the bottom of the heel flap. I turned a new heel with leftover yarn, knit two extras rows so I could pick up stitches at the sides, then closed the hole with Kitchener stitch. The heel turned out lovely if a little lumpy and it can withstand a good tug. All is right in the world again, at least for today.


10 comments:

magnusmog said...

Oh no!

teabird said...

The horror! I'm glad it ended well. Those are seriously lovely socks.

elizabeth said...

Washing machines pick the WORST items to eat! I guess they have good taste. Good job on the fix!

the Lady said...

Yay! And your mending is pretty too!

Mom said...

Tom has a drawer full of socks with holes in the toes. Shall I bring them when I visit this weekend???

Left-Handed Housewife said...

You are in inspiration. I have several very nice socks (tho none as lovely as the one pictured here) that have holes in the heels. Perhaps now I too will learn to darn. Or perhaps I'll just pop them in the mail to you. Heads up!

frances

Christie said...

DARN DRYERS!

Sandra said...

ACK!!

God, that is an awful sight to behold. So glad you were able to salvage them, tho. Phew!

Trisha said...

You are simply amazing! I would have reacted the same way but I don't know if I would have had the confidence and know how to fix it. Well darned, I mean done!

Carmen said...

I know that feeling! Although it wasn't with handmade socks, it was with a quilt and a two year old boy standing over it with my sewing scissors. There are just no words.