Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Transience


Transience is defined as the state or quality of passing with time or being ephemeral or fleeting. On one of my autumn rambles, I picked up an acorn and stuck it in my pocket. When I got home I planted the little nut in one of my succulent pots. I completely forgot about it until I saw this poking out of the soil. The first tiny leaf of what will be a tremendous oak. The fuzzy texture and blush of color have gone now, they only lasted a few days. The seedling is larger with bright green curvy leaves. I am so blessed to have caught this fleeting moment of beauty. I think I'll pass my time today counting all of my blessings. I'd wager they are a great many. How has life blessed you?



9 comments:

elizabeth said...

Ah, you're growing a tree!

Life has blessed me in more ways than I can count.

Heather said...

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

kim said...

That was beautiful. I think we all have so much to be thankful for. Thanks for reminding us.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

What a beautiful little leaf.

I think life has blessed me by making me happiest in the presence of acorns and leaves and the other great mysteries of the world.

frances

p.s. I made "Reid's Woolen Hat." It was lots of fun and very fast--great pattern!

the Lady said...

How cool that your acorn sprouted! I was always trying things like that when I was a kid, but I think our weather was all wrong for peach pits.

I was just counting my blessings last night, chief among them, having been born in America with access to all sorts of education and possibilities that other people just don't have or can dream of. And for a roof over my head and always being able to eat. Not things to take lightly, though we all do so very often.

Kathy said...

Today's blessing was a 2 hour nap with no interruptions. No phone calls, no bladder calls, nothing but restorative sleep. Ahhhh Im blessed

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

With tremendous friends and a loving family:)

Carmen said...

Love the little treeling! I have been blessed with being married to the right man for over 12 years and having beautiful babies with him.

Mom said...

I am blessed with my three fantastic children and two fabulous grand children! I love you honey.