Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Simple Gifts


Being a knitter, particularly a knitter who knits mostly socks, I tend to immediately think of gifting a pair to anyone who has:
1) done me a big favor
2) been a reliable friend
3) is kind and loving
5) accepts my eccentricities
6) jumps and says 'woo-hoo!' when I mention making them socks.

The above socks are being made for Nicole who has met all 6 criterion and more. She is the kind of friend one is lucky to have. So of course I am making her socks. And of course I wasted two days fretting over the perfect pattern. I thought of doing something intricate and challenging because she deserves the time I would invest in such work. But she wouldn't get those socks until next winter. The reason why I value our friendship is that it is neither intricate or challenging. It is simple and comforting. Simple stockinette fit the bill which is my favorite kind anyway. I've had a strange sad week and the in-around-off rythm has been a huge comfort. See, a true friend can help even when she isn't at hand. Finished pair coming soon.

10 comments:

teabird said...

Those are lovely, simple socks for someone who did what makes you happy. Excellent!

kim said...

Knitting really is such a comfort. I have a little plaque that says, "Knitting warms my hands, soothes my soul and touches my heart." So true! Lovely socks for a good friend.

the Lady said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your week.

I know how you feel about knitting for people you love! Stockinette can be so comforting. I hope it helps.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

She sounds like a keeper:)

JoAnn said...

Love your post. We should all treasure those rare friends and knit them a pair of socks now and again. Sometimes simple stockinette is the best.
Can't wait to see the finished pair. Hope better days are ahead of you.

elizabeth said...

She'll love them! Hope your week improves. :o)

Left-Handed Housewife said...

That yarn is so gorgeous I can hardly stand it. It sounds like Nicole is worthy of a sock made from such beautiful yarn.

I'm sorry to hear that your week has been strange and sad. I'm glad the knitting helps.

frances

Mom said...

Beautiful color. Nicole will absolutely love them, because she loves you. And, things will improve with time.

magnusmog said...

simple is beautiful :)

amandajean said...

i hope your week is improving. the socks are gorgeous. (i'm trying to find ways that i can fit your 6 criteria!!!)