Thursday, January 22, 2009

Scissors+Paper+Glue

I had sudden urge to make some silhouettes yesterday. Rummaging around the kid's craft cabinet, I found one piece of black construction paper, one white pencil, and one pair of safety scissors. Add to the mix some Anna Griffin scrapbook paper I bought about 6 years, traced pics from magazines, and a hefty dose of Modge Podge. I love my sloppy first attempts! I will frame them in black. I have traced many more pictures to cut out but will have to buy black card stock and an x-acto knife. Go here, here and here for more paper cutting inspiration.


Irene from Mushroom Villagers asked why I favor Knit Picks yarns. I do seem to be knitting quite a bit with their yarns lately. The many Essential kettle dyed socks are due to my having been requested to make a pair of socks for my mom in the jay colorway, but at the time they were sold out unless you bought the sampler. I purchased the sampler which included enough wool for 6 pairs of socks and six patterns as well. In fact, I've just cast on with the wine colorway for my friend Nicole. Another reason is economy; they are affordable and durable yarns. I am not by any means monogamous to Knit Picks, the lure of a tryst with luxury yarns is too strong, but for the familiar lunch date, KP is on my speed dial.


9 comments:

Carmen said...

I love silhouettes. Brings back all kinds of memories of sitting in the dark with a flashlight and trying to trace other people. Good times.

Sandra said...

oh, those silhouettes are really darling. i love them. :)

and i love knitpicks. i appreciate anyone that provide good quality yarn for reasonable prices. brand names yarn can get so spendy!

mushroomvillagers said...

Makes sense about the KP yarn. I haven't knitted with this brand yet, but I'm more likely to give it a try. I love sampler packs!
Your silhouettes are great. I've need to do this with my kids before the chubbiness leaves those cheeks!

Heather said...

I've started a little love affair with silhouettes. Probably because of nieniedialogues.blogspot.com. Yours turned out beautifully. I had to smile about the Anna Griffin paper because I went through such a phase of her stuff!

the Lady said...

I love the Knit Picks needles. It doesn't get any better for the thrifty knitter than that! Except maybe garage sale needles, which I don't especially like.

Sweet silhouettes.

amandajean said...

the silhouettes are fantastic!!! i love the background paper on the bird one. such a great combination!!!

Mariss said...

I adore the silhouettes! Especially the portrait. I think I'm inspired to make some.

Thanks for the sweet comments :)

Tammy said...

Oooh. I love your silhouettes. We had many such pictures hung on our walls when I was a child. I'm impressed by your skill.

Meghan said...

Hi Heather,

Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing your daughter's story. It's truly remarkable how little we know about all these modern products. You've definitely helped me further strengthen my resolve to think carefully about what I ingest!

best,
Meghan