Friday, January 9, 2009

In Progress

I am currently knitting a pair of Charade socks for myself. I've used this pattern before and love the fact that I don't need to keep track of rows since it is easy to read the stitches. I'm listening to Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events brilliantly narrated by Tim Curry on cd from my library. You have got to borrow or buy an audio copy for yourself, it is fabulously entertaining. I am selling Girl Scout cookies for the first time. I'm dreaming of sketching again. I'm hoping to get tickets to Wicked for my birthday. I am smitten with this site. I am not so patiently waiting for a large order of yarn. I am wondering what other things I can get myself into.

"Entertaining a notion, like entertaining a baby cousin or entertaining a pack of hyenas, is a dangerous thing to refuse to do. If you refuse to entertain a baby cousin, the baby cousin may get bored and entertain itself by wandering off and falling down a well. If you refuse to entertain a pack of hyenas, they may become restless and entertain themselves by devouring you. But if you refuse to entertain a notion - which is just a fancy way of saying that you refuse to think about a certain idea - you have to be much braver than someone who is merely facing some blood-thirsty animals, or some parents who are upset to find their little darling at the bottom of a well, because nobody knows what an idea will do when it goes off to entertain itself."
Lemony Snicket

10 comments:

teabird said...

I never realized such wisdom could be found in Lemony's musings. Just shows how closed-minded I can be!

JoAnn said...

I'll remember that next time I'm mulling over something. Very enlightening. The socks look great! I have the pattern in my file, but haven't done them yet. May have to take another looksee at it.

the Lady said...

Pretty yarn!

Marmee said...

The kids and I listened to those CD's and were so happy to do so!!

The narration is enchanting and so well done!

Happy listening and happy socks!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Charade is a great pattern, nothing like being able to read those stitches! And Tim Curry? *sigh*

Kathy said...

OH we have loved Lemony for over 11 years now. A nice man at the Borders suggested it for my son. He shared it with his second grade teacher. Lemony, really got my son to love reading. He is a great writer as a student now .

Love your socks

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Tim Curry is the perfect narrator for that series, isn't he?

I like that sock.

frances

kim said...

This is the second time this week that I've heard a reference to Tim Curry reading Lemony Snicket. I may need to give myself a listen. The Charade looks lovely.

amandajean said...

i LOVE the socks! i'm currently working on my first pair. i'm scared, but i'm doing it!!! i'm only about 3" in, but i'm loving it!!!

Sandra said...

it probably would be nice if i actually knit up a complete pair for myself since i did write up the pattern. i LOVE the way this yarn looks in the herringbone. very much looking forward to seeing the FO.