Friday, December 5, 2008

Random Knitting: The Diary of A Seemingly Simple Sock

First this sock was going to be in the Hedgerow pattern. But, I kept messing it up. So I ripped back a bit and went with the good old standby, my fair friend, simple stockinette. But, I had to rip that back after a couple of inches and decrease stitches. Off and knitting again, until I saw Wazzuki's sweater. "Holy Guacamole, I love it!" I say to the computer screen. On the next random row of my perfectly plain brown sock I toss in a few purls, a few cables, and voila, I have an owl. I decide to make a cable panel down the front of the sock with wee owls. But, after my normally bright and perceptive family couldn't identify my addition as an owl, I ripped back again and just left the original bird in there. The second sock will not have an owl, or a hedgerow patterned cuff, and will take less than half the time to finish. But, it won't have a story, and that makes me a little sad. We should all have a story, born from mistakes, switchbacks, rocky roads, and finally, acceptance that our imperfections are what add interest to our otherwise simple character. Should I try to replicate the first sock or see what it makes of itself?
*Yarn is Pigeonroof Studios, gifted by the Lady many moons ago.
I swear it looks like an owl in person. I think. Maybe. Yeah.

7 comments:

Jen said...

I see it Heather. It's there.

mushroomvillagers said...

Indeed, an owl it is! How crazy that you can even do that within a sock. Ooooh, the possibilities!

the Lady said...

I think it's an owl. You could embroider or duplicate stitch little eyes and even a beak on it. It'd be cute (it is now.) I say make another one!

kim said...

What a great idea! I've been loving all the little owls that have been cropping up, but I couldn't think of a good way to use them. This is perfect. And I think you should make a second one to match. So cute!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Holy guacamole, indeed! Go for another owl!

frances

Mom said...

I see the owl, I see the owl. And I was seeing owls at my craft show this weekend from my neighbor potter. Owls are definitely in!

Kathy said...

Hoo hooo who cooks for you? I SEE HIM!
I found an owl on a statue of St. Francis that I bought this summer. I never saw it until yesterday when the snow framed it on the sculpture! I LOVE owls.