Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Page 56

Meme time! Frances tagged me with the following: Grab the book nearest you, turn to page 56 and go to the fifth sentence, typing that sentence and a few others around it.

"But to be fair a lot of women might go to pieces after having a gun pointed at them, real or not. Shaking my head so that my hair, which I hadn't combed, tumbled out of its pins, I entered the kitchen, which didn't look as inviting as usual." The Importance of Being Ernestine by Dorothy Cannell

I haven't read Cannell's book yet. Did you know some people read the last page before they start a novel? Not me. I even read my horoscope at the end of the day. I fear reading it before anything has happened will effect my actions and I'll do things subconsciously to make the prediction come true. But if I read it at night I can find comfort in knowing my actions were all mine, free will and what not. I do, however, read the monthly horoscope at the beginning of each month to know if Mars will enter the 11th house of my solar plexus, or Venus and Jupiter will align with my gluteus maximus. Best not to be caught unawares there.



3 comments:

Carmen said...

"Petal powered up the solar van, and we bounced away. It felt great to be moving and sitting."
Pg. 56 of The All New Hardy Boys #2 - Running on Fumes.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Ooh, good sentence(s). In fact, now I want to read the book, as I do think it's fair to acknowledge that a lot of women might have a little bit of a nervous breakdown in the face of a gun in their face. Not me personally, but I'm tough.

I used to read the last word of a book before I started. I don't know why, and I don't do it anymore.

frances

danielle said...

i looked around me and every single book in my living room and dining room is a knitting pattern book.

i *really* need to branch out a little.