Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Dumb Stare

I am all about the owls popping up or should I write perching all over blogland. In most ancient cultures, the owl embodied both good and evil depending on the species. The symbolism of the wise old owl or the messenger of death still holds in modern times. I did find this in Wiki, which seems to me the best description of them all:
In Finland the owl is paradoxically viewed as both a symbol of wisdom, and as a symbol of imbecility, presumably because of its "dumb stare". Spot on.

Imbecility is the synonym of wisdom. The owl is wise enough to be compassionate towards the imbecile and imbecile enough to think this is wise. He symbolises the yin and yang of our humanity. I would like to think we are wise after all of these centuries of practice, but who are we kidding? We trample each other to death for a dollar, destroy whole civilizations for another dollar, and then use those bloody dollars to pay the bandits who stole them from us in the first place. I believe we can be better than this. The owl is our reminder to maintain balance, to see far beyond ourselves, and to seek the wisdom from within.

7 comments:

mushroomvillagers said...

Let's hope we all keep seeking wisdom. I think most stop too soon.

Jen said...

This is very well said. I hadn't realized that owls had dual symbolism, but that makes me like them even better. Thanks.

Heather said...

I've been diggin' the owls because I thought they were just downright cute! Thank you for teaching me that they are more than just a pretty face.

the Lady said...

Food for thought.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I would like to think we have grown in wisdom over the centuries, but we seem to repeat the same mistakes, only with different technologies. Sigh.

I have memed you, by the way. Come on over and see what the deal is.

frances

Mom said...

Very well said. I knew I collected owls as a young adult for a reason. I just didn't know I was wise beyond my years. Would you like my collection of owls???

jessicrum said...

I've always loved owls for their cuteness (the fake ones) and for their beauty (the real ones). Barn owls I think are especially lovely. As usual, great post ;-)