Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Daily Bread

I bake these rolls using this excellent method. I mix a batch of dough in the same bowl as I store it, and pull off little bits to make rolls every couple of days. To avoid the cornmeal/pizza stone mess, I bake the bread on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I also find the dangerous practice of pouring hot water into a pan in the very hot oven a waste. The crust is very crisp and the inside soft and chewy without the burnt knuckles. I calculate each roll costs me 27 cents to make.
I want to take a moment to say thanks to all of the bloggers who are producing such lovely holiday posts and crafts. I am giving myself a break from trying to impress you with tidings of wonder and joy. My efforts would be insincere and that is so not the spirit of this space. I have found more joy in the simple things like spotting planets, fresh baked bread, and birds gathering a few feet from my window to devour my homemade suet. Tinsel and carols just aren't on my radar yet. How are your holidays so far?

5 comments:

sixoneseven said...

good for you for taking the season slowly! i'm going to have bread on the brain for the rest of the day now...

Anonymous said...

I can assure everyone that the rolls are very tasty, especially when fresh from the oven! I’m not so sure about the homemade suet.

-Hubby.

kim said...

I love this idea! So much better than freezing Stop N Shop Ciabatta rolls and nuking them when needed. Thanks for the smart tip.

carmensthreesons said...

Christmas usually doesn't come to our house until all the pageants are done. If it's anytime before that, I'm almost always Christmassed out by the time the 25th rolls around!

amandajean said...

I NEED to try those rolls now! they look so delicious.

I'm sick of the holiday stress. I decided that January gifts are good, too. :)