Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Threshold


A short walk from my house there is a fishing pond with green water full of catfish the size of my leg. On the north side hangs a swing, just a couple ropes and a board, enticing me to linger here and ponder things. I am drawn to swings and bridges, those spaces that are liminal, meaning they are neither here nor there. On the swing I am not on the ground, not in the sky. I am on the threshold between the world beneath my feet and the world above my head. Liminal spaces are perfect for ruminating and seeing your surroundings with new eyes, fresh intention, and a sense of possibility. For instance, how many of you noticed what time I took the picture?

I've heard that you can spot a tourist because they are always looking up. An inhabitant never looks up; presumably they have seen it all before, there is nothing new to bother with. I am determined to be a tourist in this life I inhabit. For too long, I've found myself shuffling along, assuming the world around me was never going to change, never would there be anything new to see. But today I feel different. I want to thank the person who hung that crooked wooden swing. If they hadn't acted with selflessness, I wouldn't have looked up to see the beauty that exists when you leave your cynicism on the ground and let your soul take wing.


11 comments:

elizabeth said...

This is an awesome post.

Joe Tucker Park?

Mom said...

Fabulous my dear, both the post and the pictures! You've amazed this old Mom once again!

the Lady said...

I always like to look up. I always feel quite - lifted. Looking up is so amazingly beautiful, odd that it's easy to forget to do.

Christie said...

Thanks for the reminder. Even in familiar places, it's good to look around see something new in even the most familiar of things.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

It is good to feel hopeful, isn't it? To feel possibilities exist where none did before. I felt that way today, too.

mushroomvillagers said...

I have a huge maple tree which almost touches our deck. I'm always looking at what it drops. I shall try to remember to look up- and be amazed.
Thanks for your beautiful words.

melissa said...

this is such a beautiful post.
thank you for sharing

Kathy said...

My sister and I are always reminding each other to look up, look up. I love the image of the swing you took. I know those green river waters well.

Jovina and Bill said...

Heather your diction and intelligence amaze me. Your posts are beautiful and make me feel as though Im reading a passage from an award winning novel. Thanks for the inspiration! You're gifted,, truly gifted!

jessicrum said...

Lovely pictures and, of course, lovely insight. It makes me want to find a swing...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing it. I do similar things in my house. Always look around to see if I can rearrange anything to make my place more exciting (without spending much money either). :)