Thursday, November 13, 2008

Our Charming Gardener

A couple of weeks ago, my Step Grandmother, Dorothy, passed away. She was one of those souls that never meets a stranger. Five years ago Dot knit a blanket for my first born. It was the last thing she ever knit. Her hands were wracked with arthritis and she had to put her needles down. Being generous, she sent all of her needles to me, even though I could barely knit or purl. Included were a few pattern books for baby blankets and tucked into its pages were envelopes and scraps of paper with scratch marks, line counts, and notes. To a knitter this ephemera are precious patterns in themselves; the maps of an artist's mind. Her gift changed my life. I wouldn't be sharing here if she had not countered her sacrifice with generosity.

I will miss Dot, although for me she will never be gone; she is with me in every stitch I make, every gift I give, every person I make feel loved. Dot's light shines brightly in the twinkling eyes and cheshire grins of her children and grandchildren. I hope in their grieving they know their Mother's spark burns brightly in the hearts of every one she met. Let us all live by that standard.

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." Marcel Proust

11 comments:

emmms said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a remarkable woman.

elizabeth said...

What a wonderful gift she was!

Jovina and Bill said...

I love the Proust quote and thanks for the advice on my blog,,, Some people say to give him Tylenol before we go,, have u heard of this? Im unsure,,,

Ruth said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My mother passed her needles and patterns to me when her arthritis forced her to give up knitting ... I know how precious those things are, the passing of the torch.

Mom said...

You have brought tears to my eyes, and I'm sure a smile to Grandma D's face looking down over us. You've encapsulataed my wonderful Mother-in-Law with your words. Thank you honey for the tribute to an amazing little lady.

the Lady said...

I'm sorry for your loss. How sweet though, what you've gained.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your tribute, Heather. I had no idea that D had passed those things on. I wonder if the coworkers passing by my office right now think I'm going emotional over the grant report I've been knee deep in all day. Consider this a hug, my friend.

Much love,
Stephen

Jenny said...

This is how I started! My grandmother passed away and left me all of her knitting/crocheting stuff.

So glad you were compelled to continue the knitting tradition in your family.

Sandra said...

I'm so sorry about your loss, heather. b filled me in on the sad news about a week ago. your step grandmother would have been so touched by this little tribute, i know i am.

Christie said...

She sounds wonderful. I'm sorry for your loss and your family will be in my thoughts!

kim said...

What a lovely tribute to a beautiful soul. Such a touching way to think of your knitted gifts to others and continue the tradition. I'm so sorry for your loss.