Monday, November 24, 2008

Honey and Salt


This photo was the last I took since Thursday. There are a large number of geese that stay in our little park year round, but come late November, hundreds more stop by for the winter. This group was noisy, honking and calling, pushy and rambunctious, creating a stir in the more sedate locals on the lake shore. We all have those relatives don't we?
Right after I took this shot, my eyes began to water. I thought I was just cold. Little did I suspect that by the time I got home, I would be ravaged by a disease so debilitating it could easily end the manufacture of arms, wmd's, chemical agents, and eye liner. Yes, that infection that causes your own doctor to take a step back (!) as soon as you remove your chic sunglasses and reveal... conjunctivitis. It's pretty name is pink eye. As far as euphemisms go that one doesn't come close to masking the ugly truth. I am on the mend after ophthalmic antibiotic drops (which should be over the counter), constant hand washing, cotton ball compresses of warm water and honey, and tons of self pity.
Finally last night, while my husband and children were off at a party I was sad to miss, I popped in Like Water for Chocolate, picked up my needles, poured a glass of Mad Housewife, and cried my eyes out for poor Tita. The crying healed me. My salty tears and the honey water compresses worked their natural magic. I am able to knit, read, and leave the house again. Thanksgiving indeed.

4 comments:

kim said...

Ah, yes, pink eye will make anyone run away. I'm glad you're feeling well enough to knit because, after all, priorities... ;)

teabird said...

Pinkeye is awful - so sorry!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I'm sorry to hear about the pink eye (horrible, horrible), but am relieved to hear you are knitting once again. Please tell me you did not give it to your children. They won't be half as composed as you have proven yourself to be.

frances

the Lady said...

I love this picture. Glad you're better. Happy early Thanksgiving!