Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Waiting

Today has been about waiting. Waiting for a fever to break. Waiting in the doctor's office. Waiting in the exam room for the blood work, the x-ray, the diagnosis. Waiting for a definite answer but finding only educated guesses. Waiting for the prescriptions to be filled, the take out to be made, the traffic light to change. Waiting for my son to get better. During all of this waiting, I didn't keep my constant vigil up for the first sign of Autumn. When I forgot to wait, she decided to wait for me and set the sugar maple in my yard on fire so I could find my way home.
Autumn Day
by Rilke

Lord: it is time. The summer was immense.
Lay your shadow on the sundials
and let loose the wind in the fields.

Bid the last fruits to be full;
give them another two more southerly days,
press them to ripeness, and chase
the last sweetness into the heavy wine.

Whoever has no house now will not build one anymore.
Whoever is alone now will remain so for a long time,
will stay up, read, write long letters,and wander the avenues,
up and down,restlessly, while the leaves are blowing.

5 comments:

magnusmog said...

Thank you for the poem, I hope your son feels better soon :)

Christie said...

I second magnusmog!

the Lady said...

I hope you're not waiting much longer.

Beautiful photo.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Oh, how I love Rilke and sugar maples.

I hope your son is better in the morning.

Frances

p.s. the sugar maple on fire so you can find your way home--lovely.

amandajean said...

hope your son is feeling better! your photograph is most excellent.