Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Mitt in Time

Many of my regular readers will have noticed I have used Knit Picks yarn for several finished objects lately. I am burning through a huge order I placed many months ago. Since yarn is not an essential (don't hate, just relate) to the family of 4 budget in trying economic times, I am using every single inch I can. This Victory Knitting has had two pleasant effects: less odd balls rolling around the stash and a queue of quick projects. My Toasty mitts are made from leftover gold (Felicity Hat) and grey (Liam's sweater). I even have enough of the grey to make another pair of mitts or a hat. I am earmarking anorexic cakes of sock yarn for bookmarks, cozies, ornaments, and baby socks. All of this wee knitting is my equivalent of canning vegetables for the winter. These mitts knit up in a few hours yesterday and I wore them to the bus stop this morning. Huzzah.

8 comments:

Heather said...

These are awesome! Makes me want to dust off the needles..........

amandajean said...

they are beautiful! I love the color combo. and you have to admit using what you have can be so satifsying. (she says after she placed a huge fabric order yesterday and prepares to attend a sale at another LQS tomorrow.)

danielle said...

these are great-- the two colors together are perfect!

i have a lot of knit picks in the stash to burn through too... hmm...

Christie said...

I have quite a bit of yarn to burn through...I totally understand.

Love the color combo!

the Lady said...

Have you listened to the Changeling Knit & Stitch podcast? She does this section on "thrify knitting" that I enjoy quite a lot, speaking of economizing.

Who doesn't have yarn to knit in stash! I think it's a good thing to knit from the stash - after building mine up, I am now experiencing the joys of stash knitting. It's new and interesting. It can also force creativity and one can get some cool results.

a friend to knit with said...

i LOVE the gold/grey combo!!!!!

*so glad you liked the pattern. :)

Mom said...

I love the color combination you chose and your new fingernail polish is beautiful. You are one chic mom. Hopefully one day I'll get to my stash.....

jessicrum said...

Those are cozy-looking mitts! I'm doing the same "Victory Knitting" as you, only not all my yarn is knit picks. I'm also knitting the majority of my Christmas gifts this year. I actually think it's really helping. Plus, I appreciate the fancy yarns more now. (hehe)