Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ever and Anon: Headless Hessian Socks

"The dominant spirit, however, that haunts this enchanted region, and seems to be commander-in-chief of all the powers of the air, is the apparition of a figure on horseback, without a head. It is said by some to be the ghost of a Hessian trooper, whose head had been carried away by a cannon-ball, in some nameless battle during the Revolutionary War,and who is ever and anon seen by the country folk hurrying along in the gloom of night, as if on the wings of the wind...
Such is the general purport of this legendary superstition, which has furnished materials for many a wild story in that region of shadows; and the spectre is known at all the country firesides, by the name of the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow. "

With the aide of Jack O' Leena, I recovered the head of the Hessian and commemorated the moment ever and anon in my socks. The horrible hunt was dicey to the bloody end as he was hot on my heels, but all is well that endeth well.


Go here for a terrific audio download of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (more satisfying than a political debate, trust me.)

4 comments:

Christie said...

Love them! So very cool!

Heather said...

I think you are a genius! Not only are your knits amazing, you blew me away with the post about letting kids get bored. Amen.

Carmen said...

If I could have skulls on my socks I think I would actually be cool in the eyes of my sons.

Jen said...

I LOVE THESE!!!