Thursday, September 4, 2008

I'll Take Predictable for $200, Alex.

* Warning: Superfluous Usage of Italics Ahead*

When I read the intro to Sandra's awesome new La-La-Love-You Cowl (go here for the goodness) I was dismayed. She made hers in green so as to not be predictable in red or pink. I had a momentary crisis of self. I thought, Oh no! I have this kettle dyed bordeaux hued yarn that would look fabulous against my gray wool coat. But Oh! I don't want to be predictable. I don't want to seem uncool. I don't want Others to scoff at the scratchy inexpensive wool in the pinkish purple shade I've chosen when They will all be knitting with uber nice Malabrigo in hip tones. I had an absolute breakdown in my knitterly self confidence. I felt like screaming, Oh! am I to feel an outsider even to my beloved hobby? Am I always to be relegated to the fringe?

Then I remembered that if you choose to do what you think you should do in order to please Everyone Else, you really have chosen the predictable action, the result of which will leave you unhappy. I've operated under the assumption that my place in the world is always a bit on the fringe, uncool or not, and I can confidently say I am proud of my accomplishments because they are uniquely mine. So, if I choose the predictable palette with maverick intention, does this then qualify as an unpredictable act or possibly even ironic? Whatever. I'm knitting the cowl in fuchsia and I may not be hip, but I will be happy.

10 comments:

Christie said...

Rock the pink heart cowl. It's always best when you go with your instinct and are unapologetic...that's the definition of cool.

the Lady said...

Hmph. I don't see why pink or red should be predictable, just because there is a heart motif. I mean, I can totally appreciate Sandra's nice little intro about not wanting to be predictable, but I don't think knitting is ever predictable, so if pink is what rocks your boat, then that is fabulous. (I love pink, btw.) I haven't seen a cowl in pink or hearts, so I think it'll be fairly unique as is.

As I experienced the other month, from the s.o. of a fellow knitter - "oh wow, one of those! (a cowl) I've only seen those on knitting blogs!" So there you go.

danielle said...

predictable isn't a bad thing. yarn screams to be certain projects... you've simply got to listen!

even if something IS predictable, sometimes things that are "predictable" offer a nice familiarity... like the soothing effect of eating comfort foods on a rainy day. i'm a big fan of both predictable and shockingly unpredictable. there's moods that fit both.

i love the cowl!

amanda said...

have you taken a look at what's in all in all the retail stores for fall? purple! fushcia! you are SO in.

Tammy said...

LOL - Happy is definitely better than hip!

Sara said...

Love this post. Gave *me* a bit to think about as I am dealing with personal knitting demons right now. Thanks :-)

G. P. Burdell said...

"You truly have a dizzying intellect."

"Hah! I'm just getting started..."

Heather said...

Dear G.P. Burdell,

"You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work."

jessicrum said...

You deserve a pat on the back for knitting the way you want! I know exactly how you feel. Isn't that weird how we stress ourselves out over such silly things?

btw, I like your new title image ;-)

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I like the notion that going with the predictable color is actually a maverick move. For those of us who spent our teens and twenties--and possibly our thirties--always going against the grain, there is something fabulous and rebellious about doing the predictable thing. In fact, hipness starts to wear thin after a time--but then we all know that the hipsters are the most predictable cats of all ...