Thursday, August 14, 2008

You Put the Fun in Fungus


These spectacularly hued mushrooms popped up after a rainstorm only to vanish by the next day. One of the many fabulous traits I have in common with my handsome, brilliant, humorous brother-in-law, Geoff, is my dislike of mushrooms. In order to eat a mushroom, it has to be diced to near impossible proportions, drowned in soy sauce, and so expertly combined in my take out from Lucky China, that I pretend it is an exotic bit of cabbage. I am not sure how Geoff survived living in Paris for so long with his distaste for mushrooms and blue cheese.
Yes, I can see you shaking your head at me, Irene. I apologize for my lack of fungi sense.

Despite my epicurean aversion, I researched mushrooms. Here it the short version: they are the fruit of an underlying fungus colony. The mushrooms only last a day or so, but the colony can live for thousands of years across as many miles underground. Remember that X-Files episode? Creepy. The verbiage used to describe the short lived shrooms ranges from the sensual, fleshy fruiting bodies, to the obvious, puffball, stinkhorn, and morel. I used to date the last three.

Anyway, this is all just my way of saying thanks to Frances for passing this award on to me. She is right in feeling relationships in this community of crafty types are important and meaningful. We are friends whether we have met in person or not. We rely on the blogging colony for support and it relies on us to bear the fruits of collective creativity. Symbolically speaking, we may only survive for a day, but our efforts will live on. Brava to each and everyone of you reading this. Consider yourself awarded.


The Rules:
- Only 5 people are allowed to receive this award.
- 4 of them followers of your blog.
- One has to be new to your blog and live in another part of the world.
- You must link back to whoever gave you the award

3 comments:

mushroomvillagers said...

You've got me laughing at 2am- thank you! I've been cleaning my very dirty house all night and now I am rewarded with your post. A great way to end the day...

Sandra said...

What do you call a mushroom who walks into a bar and orders everyone a drink?

A fun-guy!!

Christie said...

I enjoy a mushroom...but I do get a little grossed out when you think they grow from something decomposing below. Shitake!