Thursday, July 17, 2008

Gratitude


So, yesterday was my first blogiversary. I was overwhelmed with my offline life and couldn't find time to write to say thank you. I began this blog as a means to keep relatives informed of our goings on. In retrospect, not much time passed before this space became an expression of a facet of my truest self.

The true self can never be hidden fully in an artistic pursuit of any kind. I may think I am in control, choosing to share only the pretty bits, the perfect work, the least amount of identifiable information as possible. This thinking is folly. Everything I write, photograph, create, and share is a mirror image of the most sincere, imperfect, incomplete, humble parts of me. As I relish the trace of a potter's fingerprint in an otherwise perfect bowl or the sound of a guitarist's fingernails on the strings, you take time to read, encourage, and know me. I could go on like this all night and never make full sense of what I am trying to say, but I think Robert Frost comes close to describing my feelings about blogging:

The figure a poem makes. It begins in delight and ends in wisdom... in a clarification of life - not necessarily a great clarification, such as sects and cults are founded on, but in a momentary stay against confusion.

8 comments:

the Lady said...

I like reading you, I wouldn't if your fingerprints weren't apparent.

Happy Blogiversary, and thanks for sharing.

mushroomvillagers said...

Happy Blogiversary! Your writing always calms me. Thank you.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Happy Blogiversary! I think I must have started reading your blog within a month or so from when you started writing it. It has been a pleasure and a joy. Leave the fingerprints.

teabird said...

I love the sound of the guitarist's nails, too - and the squeaks -

happy blogiversary!

amandajean said...

happy blogiversary! I like how you described blogging...it portrays us more than we can realize sometimes...but in a good way.

Sandra said...

Happy blogiversary. So glad you decided to start your little blog here and let us in unto your own little corner of the world. :)

amanda said...

Happy Blogiversary - keep it coming!

Carmen said...

Happy Blogiversary! It's a kick reading your blog and marvelling at how fast you knit socks. Keep up the good work (btw, the poetry parts...love it).