Thursday, May 8, 2008

Small Slice of Pi


Pattern: Pi Shawl (July) by Elizabeth Zimmerman in the Knitter's Almanac
Yarn: Fearless Fibers superwash merino in Deepest Forest and Baby Silk (color 2308) from Elann
Needles: US #4 circular and DPN

I made a small shawlette size that is just right to pin around me but keep my arms free. The construction of the shawl is based on the mathematical constant pi, so here are the notes in numerical terms:
440 yards of sock yarn
273 yards of alpaca/silk for border
50,040 stitches
213 quilting pins to block the shape
40 inch diameter
1 very happy knitter

11 comments:

Sandra said...

daaamn, that shawl is gorgeous! fabulous job. l love it, it looks fantastic on you.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! That is beautiful. Great job.

mushroomvillagers said...

Wow! The color and pattern are gorgeous. I love the little shawlette size- a perfect little cover-up.

the Lady said...

Congrats on a finished shawl, how exciting!

Mom said...

OH MY, that is absolutely beautiful!!! You are SO talented and I know this is one item that will get much use for years to come. Gorgeous my dear, just gorgeous. (PS: Your hair looks great!)

amandajean said...

I applaud you, heather. it. is. gorgeous.

Lolly said...

this is totally gorgeous! amazing work!

Emily said...

That is amazingly beautiful (I may revaluate lace). The cameo is perfect with it.

Abigail said...

Wow that is stunning!


I have been considering making one for myself and you have convinced me to go for it. Thanks.

amanda said...

absolutely beautiful - nice work!!

Tora said...

That shawl is so fantastic! I love the garter stitch border, it matches the rest of the shawl to perfecton..