Monday, March 31, 2008

Hanami


Hanami translates literally in Japanese to mean flower viewing. Traditionally the viewing is of cherry trees in bloom . My personal hanami will pass without me this year since I don't live in St. Louis anymore. The Botanical Garden there is home to the largest Japanese garden in the western hemisphere (Seiwa-en). The cherry trees will bloom and after a week or so, drop their delicate blossoms like snow blowing off a mountain. One tree in particular rooted on the edge of the lake will shower white blossoms over the foot bridge onto the water to be nibbled by the hundreds of glittering koi. Heaven on earth. I may miss those cherry trees, but the signs of spring are here and the early bloomers are waking up. The loropetalum shrubs that lead you to my front door are exploding with fringe that my daughter calls cheerleader pom poms.

I was in Athens, GA this weekend walking with family and friends for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. We had a great time and raised a ton of money. My aunt and uncle made t-shirts for Team Kristen which had this quote by Anatole France (you know how I love qoutey goodness):

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe."


Let's get started right now.

2 comments:

Christie said...

Great quote!

Jami said...

Athens is my favorite town in the entire world!! Did you have so much fun?