Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ring Ring: Dorothy Gale Calling


Is everyone still here? We were up with tornado sirens around 3:30 this morning. My baby boy hid under the covers chanting, "me hide, me hide". I hope all of my south eastern readership is safe and sound. This season has proven hard already and we aren't even out of February yet. I am a tornado veteran; the worst was when I emerged into the light of day in Atlanta a decade ago to see a hundred pines ten feet from my door snapped like matchsticks and the entire side of the two story apartments torn right off. The kids and I are taking a day off. I kept Miss A home from school since she only slept a few hours and we are all in pajamas, eating ice cream with sprinkles for lunch, and watching videos. (Honey, I am sincerely sorry you have to read this at work.) In any case of duress this is really the best medicine.

I am knitting a couple of gifts. I started a pair of socks for my friend's son as a going away present. They are moving back to Germany soon and I will miss them very much. The second gift is for Christie's friend who is undergoing chemotherapy. I chose the Odessa hat pattern for many reasons, but will save that for a post of it's own. I also finished the Sublime socks. I'll post a photo on a sunnier day. So I guess I'm just checking in to say I'll share another day. By the way, Larkin has updated her shop. I absolutely love her stitch markers.

I took the picture last week. I loves these birch trees. They stand guard between the lake and the cemetery. I imagine their roots are fed by both the worlds of the living and the dead. They must be very wise trees indeed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so much better than my lunch!-Hubby

Christie said...

Glad that you are all okay. Earthquakes are one thing, but sirens early in the morning scaring you to death are quite another.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making the hat! I so appreciate it!

Sandra said...

ack, so scaaaaary. i'm glad everyone is all right. :)

the Lady said...

Eek, how scary. I'm glad you're all okay, and of course hope it remains that way. I'm the typical Californian, can deal with earthquakes, but not even the thought of tornadoes! Thanks for the shop mention! Enjoy your breakfast:-)

amandajean said...

glad you are ok after your rude awakening.

Enchanted Yarn & Fiber said...

Heather, you made my day with that yarn purchase! :) You're my very first Etsy customer and I will be including a little "thank you" in your package. I am glad to hear that you are all still well after the tornado. I know what that's like and it's not fun! Stay snuggled up in PJ's...it makes life worthwhile :)
-Ashley

Suzanne B said...

I wish I had stayed home yesterday after the lovely sirens interrupted my sleep at 3:30. I was dragging badly after that.