Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Retrospection


Do you remember the author Yann Martel and his mission to gift the Prime Minister of Canada with a new novel to read every two weeks while in office? I look forward to find what the next selection is as well as Mr. Martel's inspiring letters that accompany the books. This week he sent Meditations by the philosopher-king Marcus Aurelius. I was intrigued and wanted to read this book by the Stoic who ruled Rome in A.D. 161 and wrote things like, “Soon you will have forgotten the world, and soon the world will have forgotten you.”

I went to my county library web search immediately and found the system had one copy. I clicked the 'hold' button and was incredibly amused by the irony when the screen read, "LOST". Poor Marcus, he was right after all. Bless his heart.
I am reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee with my book club and have rediscovered the 7th grader I was when I first read this novel. She liked to circle the words she didn't know and define them in the margins. She wrote, "this is a good book" on the Part Two page. She learned that year the meanest girls are, through tyranny, the most popular and the teacher is not always right. This copy is dated 1960, so I assume it came from the dusty box of books in my Grandma's basement. I guess some of my aunts must have read this particular copy.

I may very well be forgotten by the world, but that matters little when I discover the precious treasure of remembering myself. Seems Boo Radley left more in that tree knot than I first understood.

6 comments:

Christie said...

How funny...that movie was just on tv a few weeks back. I remember saying that in the movie Scout didn't look how I pictured her, but Jem did. Such a good book! Definitely worth a reread!

Sandra said...

that is really neat. i used to be really into keeping a journal when i was a youngin and it's really great to go back and reread them. for the most part, it was nothing but long embarrassing laments on my crush do jour wouldn't give me the day and how if he really knew me, we would be together so happy. . .

oh boy, anyhoo that makes me want to read that book again. i might have to pick up a copy this weekend.

Mom said...

I do believe that was the book I used to read Mockingbird the first time! What goes around comes around...Your Mom

Carmen said...

Loved that book. One of my favorites!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

TKAM is one of my favorite books ever. I re-read it every few years. Once not long ago when I was reading it and was right in the middle of the court house scenes, I was listening to NPR and honest to goodness thought, "Now why aren't they reporting on the trial?" That's how much that book can get in your head!

renaissancewednesday said...

Mockingbird is one of my favorite books. No one else in my class liked it, but I did. Hmm, Maybe I'll reread it now...