Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hand Made

I have developed a taste for all things hand made. Large amounts of my time and thoughts are spent marveling over the sublime simplicity of a running stitch in a quilt, the careful finish on a carved wooden bowl, the perfect French seams hidden in the lining of a coat, and the even tension in a knitted item. A finely turned ceramic vase can send my imagination reeling, transporting me through centuries of pottery, deciphering the lives behind the inanimate shards. Don't even get me started on paintings.

I am, however, surrounded by a large amount of brightly colored plastic. I swim in a sea of it every time I enter my children's rooms. To combat plastic fatigue, I am earnestly enjoying these:


Hand Dyed by Fearless Fibers in sublime and deepest forest

Project bag by Misocrafty gifted by Sandra (thank you !!)

Socks for a special set of twins who share my birthday. Thank you to Anny Purls for physically measuring her baby's foot just because a strange sock knitter (me) asked her to.

6 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Oh, that yarn is pretty! I am on a knitting binge and just ordered lots of sock yarn online. And now I have to see your beautiful yarn ... this is bad. This is very bad.

Sandra said...

oh my, those socks are too cute.

and you're welcome. :) i'm so glad you're getting some good use out of that bag. misocrafty bags are the bestest.

Mo said...

I know exactly how you feel about being surrounded by a sea of plastic. I retreat to the comfort of yarn too :)

Mo said...

You have an award over at my blog. Please stop by & enjoy :)

nuttnbunny said...

Good rule: ALWAYS give the strange knitter the requested measurements. It always works to your advantage.

:-)

amanda said...

Handmade really is better, isn't it? That's probably why we craft and love it.