Friday, December 14, 2007

Ellen


Inspired by Veronik Avery's lovely Chevron Neck Warmer, I knew I wanted to knit one. I live in a milder climate so I designed mine to be cozy enough to keep chilly breezes off my neck without suffocating me indoors. I am calling this Ellen, for a most intriguing literary character, Countess Ellen Olenska. She defied convention as stylishly as a neck warmer full of holes.



Pattern: Ellen (my own design)

Yarn: Karabella Aurora 8 color 1350

Needles: US # 8 for body and 10.5 for bind off

I knit a generic cable and eyelet pattern in the round, leaving a 4 stitch stockinette panel (shown in top photo) in one spot where I'll add decorative buttons later. The neck warmer measures 18 inches in circumference and about 5 inches tall. I lightly steam blocked to keep the edges from rolling inward. I knit this over the course of a normal day watching the kids, so without interruption I would guess this could be knit in a few hours.

12 comments:

Michelle O. said...

It is so pretty! You did a great job :)

Rose said...

I also love to knit. I am always wearing turtlenecks under my jumpers. I never thought of knitting a neck warmer! How smart of you. I am really enjoying your blog. Blessings, Rose

Marmee said...

Wow, so cute and inventive!!! I have to make one of those for me soon.
Loved it.

Sandra said...

cozy yet so stylish! nice job, lady. :)

p.s. thankee for the b-day wishes yesterday.

amandajean said...

very very nice, Heather! it looks great...and am so impressed that you knit it without a pattern.

Elizabeth said...

It's lovely! It's a perfect name for it, too. Does this mean you're enjoying The Age of Innocence?

amanda said...

Very smart design!

Lolly said...

It's very elegant. Beautiful work ;)

Mom said...

Oh my gosh, it's your Aunt Noreen. Look at yourself again. Do you not look just like Noreen??? And I always thought you looked like me. Oh, and I like the neck warmer too!

Love,
Mom

tonni said...

That is a lovely pattern!

Anonymous said...

I think you look like Natalie Wood! Very pretty neck warmer too.

nuttnbunny said...

I googled "Cabled Neck warmer" and look where I landed! Heaven!! :-)