Friday, November 30, 2007

Distraction

During lunch, the topic of conversation moved from the usual "stop throwing that and sit down!" to Christmas decorations. Miss A and I have been putting out small items for the past few days, but as the fifteen feet tall Santa and robotic reindeer have begun to invade the neighbor's yard, we acknowledged the fact that the outside of our home sure is dark at night. The conversation was short and to the point. "If you don't put up the lights right now, I will scream forever." (Miss A is in a threat stage.)

So, to disengage the inevitable ugly scene that was sure to commence at any second, I sprang to action. I had purchased a box of Gingerbread Family cookies and icing a week ago. Distraction is my most reliable weapon against the preschool terror threat . I think I will design a Super Mom belt like Batman's except, you know, not so bulky.




We all resembled the cookies when the kids had finished. Smiling, covered in gel, sprinkles, and me, well, I always feel like I'm missing half my brain.

6 comments:

Michelle O. said...

I love distraction! The other day, the girls were driving me bonkers and running at full speed around the house hollering so loud I couldn't get my voice loud enough for them to hear me when I said "Stop!" So I pulled out a box of craft items. They stopped...lol. We used 9 popsicle sticks (each), a ton of red, green & gold sequins, and Elmer's glue to make picture frames. The silence was heavenly :)

Anonymous said...

I wonder which one of these gingerbread people I get to eat tonight? Is that red icing or some sort of switzers type shoelace thing?-Hubby

Mom said...

Those cookies look just how I feel tonight after my 2-1/2 day craft show. I'd love to have the little fingers that were so lovingly kneading the bread to knead my aching feet! Those are truly precious cookies from my precious babes. Love, Nana

Jennifer and Brandon said...

Heather, your posts are always so entertaining. I love the comment about your neighbor, I quickly had this vision of what their yard looks like. I hope you all are doing well.

Jennifer and Brandon

the Lady said...

I want lights too! Fun cookies!

Aunt Shell said...

Love the spear and scream method with the yarn. I feel like doing that at school sometimes..... not actually spearing a child but maybe the bothersome paperwork or the dreaded email from the nagging parent. My weekly relaxation is reading your blog and for that I am grateful. Love the sweater!!! I may have to contract you for one after the craziness of the holidays is over..... Shelley