Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Just Circular Is All


We spent the weekend going in circles. The local intermediate school hosted a Fall Festival complete with Carnival rides and silent auctions. I love a good fair. Balloons that blow up into funny shapes, popping noises ,flashing lights, tickets to ride, and laughter. Merry, singing laughter from people both under and over 48" tall.

The whole family had a great time and the funnel cake smell washed off of us after a day or two. No, we didn't consume any funnel cake. Old timer that I am, I instead opted to buy a small portion of the local Cracker Barrel's supply of candy. I was restrained however, and made it out into daylight without the half dozen boxes of Goo Goo Clusters and Moon Pies I was about to purchase. Nostalgia is always sweeter to the mind than the taste buds. I knit round and round the Mint Leaf Tee and she is a few inches shy of being complete. I also worked on my first Toe Up sock:





Why, what's that you say? That isn't a toe up sock?? That is clearly a top down sock?



You are correct. I cast on for the toe up 3 times until the toe looked right and the size seemed ok. I even knit all the way to the heel. Then I ripped and re knit the heel 3 times. Then I pouted a little, made some coffee, and tried again. I gave up on the 4th complete heel and flap. The darned (ha ha get it?) heel looked lumpy and the wraps were weird. I know I said change is good, but certainly it must be aesthetically pleasing as well. My lovely sock yarn was mighty sore that I crinkled her so. I have not abandoned the toe up method completely. I will try again on another project when the planets align and Pluto is humbly invited back into the group.

*I will purchase a box of Moon Pies for the first member of my family to correctly quote me the line(s) and movie on my mind. Look for the hidden clues.

14 comments:

Michael said...

RAISING ARIZONA

In Store:
(Evelle) - These blow up into funny shapes at all?

(Cashier) - Well, no. Unless round is funny.


In Car:
(Gale) - They blow up in funny shapes at all?

(Evelle) - Nah, just circular.

Heather said...

You are the Winner! Thank you for playing. I will get that box o' pies to you soon. Now get back to work!!

B said...

The fix was in.

Michael said...

No no b-

This whole thing is just who knows who...and then over here you got favoritism.

Grampa B said...

We got us a family unit. Should we preserve the moment in pictures? Well done, Michael. Should we freeze or hit the floor? I was embarassed to not catch it first. I felt like a man with a panty on his head.

Heather said...

Nathan Jr accepts me for what I am! And I think you better had, too! You know I'm okay, you're okay! That there's what it is!

Michael said...

Well, it ain't Ozzie and Harriet.

the Lady said...

Oooh, a fair! That looks way fun! Hm, the toe-up sock is not sounding too promising... I haven't started any socks like that yet, but I want to! Better luck next time, eh?

Sandra said...

the heels on my toe up socks never look as pretty as they do for my top down. my suggestion for you is to maybe try the misocrafty short-row heel tutorial? They make your wraps look a lot tighter and neater. Or maybe the Wendy knits toe up sock with heel flap and gusset.

Ashley said...

Well, doggone. I am so bummed that the toe up socks didn't cooperate with you! Your cuff down ones look great anyway, though :)

Mom said...

I was going to guess Raising Arizona, but only because I know it's my family's favorite movie and you guys have been quoting it for years. Even Grandpa Bernie got in on the act. I feel so inadequate! As I said the other day, the only line from a movie I can quote is "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a ....."

Nichole said...

i think most of my knitting experiences have involved frustration and messing up numerous times- and i've only knit scarves and tried a baby blanket. i admire your perseverance. maybe i'll dig out my knitting needles again and try to be less bitter towards them.

Carmen said...

You're scaring me - I'm trying some toe-up socks for the first time and I'm just getting to the heel. I'm going to be sooo mad if I have to unravel it all at this point. Really, really mad!

HEWY said...

LOL! You went to HIS fall festival too! No prize for guessing my house but I'm only doing one thing for Halloween (beside the pumpkin). Speaking of which, I need to do that today. I mangled last year's pumpkin. I'll repost this on my site in case you check back there.