Sunday, October 14, 2007

Blah blah blah & a recipe

I have no knitting content to share. Both my socks and the tee are inching along. I did day dream about my throw quilt... spent countless minutes imagining myself cutting the fabric and piecing it just so, but I didn't actually pull the fabric out of the closet it waits so patiently in.


Sundays are like that around here. Tiddly Pom* days with the family all hanging out in pj's for most of the morning. Until I crack and run to the shower by 9 while Hubby grumbles that I've broken the lazy rhythm for the sake of some misguided sense of hygiene. I drive him nuts quite a bit. Like when I put on makeup before I go out to pull weeds.

Since I ate my weight in cheese dip and burritos this afternoon, I didn't want much for dinner. I was eyeing the bowl of apples and bananas on the counter. I do not eat bananas unless they are well disguised in a dish. Same goes for mushrooms. I guess it is a texture thing. Anyhoo, the 'naners were looking as spotty as the Man in the Yellow Hat's tie. My best imaginary friend, Paula Deen, came calling and here is what we made:


Banana Bread

yields 1 loaf

1/2 cup (1 stick ) butter at room temperature

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

3 ripe bananas, mashed


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar, mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes.


I hesitated before I poured the batter into the pan to ask Paula if she thought a 1/2 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice might give this bread a taste of the season?


"See! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then, Hon, throw it in!", she cheerfully urged.




The spice added a nice bouquet. Paula and I dug into a dish of hot from the oven bread and apples with caramel sauce while we chatted about Bonaventure, Mrs. Wilkes House, and next years St. Patrick's parade. Bless my heart it was a fine supper. Thank you for dropping in, Paula.




* Tiddly Pom : A A Milne poem from Winnie the Pooh. My go to word when a word doesn't exist for the word I am thinking.

7 comments:

Marmee said...

Looks absolutely delicious!!
Your pictures are great.

Nichole said...

Yum! That bread looks delicious. I've been itching to make some banana bread for awhile now!

Sandra said...

it seems like you and your siblings all seems to dislike the same foods. kinda funny. :D well, at least you're willing to eat mushrooms someimtes (unlike SOME people I know. . .*coughcoughBcoughcough*)

i luuuuurve banana bread, yours looks delish! i personally like to throw in a small handful of chocolate chips into the batter myself.

i'm glad the brooks farm is working out for you. it's great stuff but i just can't stand the touch of mohair anymore, don't know why. . .if you need more of the stuff, let me know. i have a LOT more where that came from.

Heather said...

The bread was even better this morning with Nutella spread on top!

Ashley said...

I like your green yarn, I know how it is to have projects inch along! The banana bread is making me very hungry so now I have to run to get a snack :)

Carmen said...

Hi! That bread looks delicious and the yarn rather tempting! I left something for you on my blog. Go see it at http://carmen-threesons.blogspot.com/2007/10/yummy-treats.html

Mom said...

Well, my dear, once again you've outdone yourself. I know there's a famous writer in you just itching to get out! The banana bread looks wonderful, but the apples with caramel sauce made my mouth water...I can't wait to visit in 15 days!!! (I was hoping, though, to see pictures of the two tiny chefs with flour in their hair and on their noses.)