Friday, August 3, 2007

One of my favorite things


I love school supplies. I mean I am obsessed with them. I have never had a legitimate reason to shop the back to school aisles until now. Miss A will be attending a preK this Fall and I am giddy. I am beside myself to troll the aisles with list in hand, fondling and caressing packs fresh packs of pencils, breathing in the intoxicating aroma of scotch tape, and nonchalantly tossing them into my basket so the other slightly annoyed looking moms don't notice my euphoria.

I woke up with the idea that this would be The Day.

Me: Want to go today to get your supplies?

A: Can I put them in my pink backpack?

Me: Yes!

A: Can I get markers, pencils, and glue?

Me: (rapturously): Yes!

A: Not today.


I died a little. Do you remember the movie You've Got Mail ? Tom Hanks' character emails a love letter to Fall in New York to Meg Ryan's character. He writes he would give her a " bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils" if she would reveal her name. Yeah, I'd have given him my name in a heartbeat. There is a shady, breezy spot to escape the oppressive never ending heat of August: the school supply aisle.


One reason for my passion may be that Back to School is the harbinger of Fall. Fall brings with her all of my other favorite things. Cooler weather, light sweaters, corduroy, crunchy leaves, wine and cassoulet, gourds and mums piled high on Market stands. I'll have to wait 'cause Fall hits the South in December.


O, little pencil

How your point so sharp and fine

Softly draws my line



Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

this post reminds me of that brilliant Staples commercial where the parents are euphorically shopping for back to school supplies for their kids to the music of "It's the most wonderful time of the year" with the kids sulking along behind them. hahaha. :)

is it just me or did Miss A have a growth spurt recently? she looks like she should be in second grade(!!!) from the pics i've seen on her on your blog. or is it just because i haven't seen her in about 9 years or so?. . .

Blair said...

oh my, how i love back to school shopping...the supplies, the gear, the clothes. Even now I tell my husband I need to go back to school shopping in the fall for myself!

And I wanted to let you know, no sugar in my cornbread (he hee)!

xo