Friday, August 17, 2007

Inspiration Friday


Simple talents can lead to the most beautiful things. My source of inspiration today comes from all of you. Knitting, sewing, stitching, and cooking are not in themselves very difficult to do. I mean, really, anything you do with your hands is a matter of practice and coordination.

But what makes the product of our labors stand apart and become infinitely more than the sum of it's parts is the imagination behind it. The thought ( deliberate or not) that this string and needles, this fabric and thread, this bowl of flour, eggs, and butter can be made into something useful and good is hope that things will turn out as we dream or at least be happy accidents.

Sometimes things don't work like we had planned. This is where humility lands squarely on our heads and after awhile we can recognize the lesson we needed to learn. These are men and women I have learned from and been inspired by this week:

Franklin Habit's simple and lovely altar cloth.

Elliphantom Knits gift for knitters ( Happy Birthday!) : I will use these like crazy.

These ABC blocks from One More Moore.

This quote sums up my bloggy existence:

"Images also help me find and realise ideas. I look at hundreds of very different, contrasting images and I pinch details from them, rather like people who eat from other people’s plates."

Francis Bacon

1 comment:

Sandra said...

oh, wow, those mailing labels are too cute. thankee for the link! I will be most definitely using those as well.

that quote at the end reminds me of how annoyed B gets when I eat off of his plate. not exactly the message you wanted to convey, i know. . . ;)